The virtual Workplace

A large open plan newspaper office in Europe
Photo licensed under a Creative Commons License

I have been thinking a lot about my ideal virtual office, influenced by four ideas from different spheres:


  1. My experience with social networks at EMC has shown me how I can develop working relationships with people I would normally never meet, either because of distance, or because they sit in a different silo (business unit), or because they are separated from me by several degrees in the management hierarchy.

  2. A video about the new Microsoft Research Lab building in Redmond introduced me to the idea of buildings being designed for reconfiguration by the employees as needed.

  3. Jon Brouchoud’s presentation on wikitecture, where he identified the ideas of modularity and remixing of design components

  4. Enterprise mashups which allow the user to configure any elements they desire into their user interface

 blog it